- First we notify workplace health and safety and register the job with them .
- We book in the excavator because digging out the fence is the safest and fastest way, asbestos fencing is usually buried up to half a meter into the ground.
- Now are onsite and our tool box meeting is held to work out how the job will be done safely with minimal disruption to everybody.
- Before we start we go and notify the neighbors and set up signage and tape off a perimeter to keep everybody safe.
- When removing the fence our goal is to minimize breakage and fiber release we use encapsulation spray and water to do this.
- Once all the fence is removed and the trench double checked the trench is backfilled and compacted with the excavator so there is no subsidence .
- The fence is either placed in our 200 um lined plastic trailer ,or stacked and double wrapped in 200 um plastic for our crane truck to pickup .
- Once we have double checked the job and every thing is decontaminated we get the job inspected and a clearance certificate is issued.
While we are working we have a few commonsense rules to keep everybody safe . please close all windows on the home ,no clothes on the clothesline and remove any covers on outdoor furniture.Its important to remember that your pets should be kept away from the job on the day.
Who can transport asbestos ? I Queensland to transport asbestos there are a few different scenarios there are rules for home owners, businesses and asbestos removal companies . All vary on the conditions and the quantities and there are strict regulations on how the asbestos is the be prepared for transport by all groups .
Lets start with the regulations around how asbestos must be prepared before transport . All asbestos to be transported must be double wrapped and sealed on 200um plastic and clearly labelled as asbestos . No exceptions if you are caught not following this you face fines and prosecution under the dangerous goods transport act . You will also have to find a regulated waste facility that will accept asbestos waste as many will not accept any quantity of asbestos .
First we will start with homeowners who have removed
asbestos on their own homes ( not recommended) . There is a weight limit of 250kg at the time of the writing of this blog. You will still have to find a registered facility that will accept asbestos and many have their own in house rules that vary from tip to tip that that will require you to follow once on site.
Next there are some limits for trades that remove asbestos incidentally as a part of other work they are carrying out eg. If a plumber is removing an asbestos pipe to fix some plumbing work . This must be still under 10 meters square and you will still have to follow any in house rules at the dump this must be under 250kg as well.
Professionally removed asbestos this includes handy men and anybody who is charging to remove asbestos as part of the works they are doing . All professional asbestos removal no matter what the quantity must have an environmental authority (ERA) from the Queensland Government .
According to Workplace Health and Safety QLD
“a license is not required to remove less than 10 square meters of bonded asbestos.” this is about as far as people get with this “ten square meter rule” it goes on to say”
“all asbestos removal work must be carried out properly usingsafe work procedures”
this is the bit that gets ignored !
Ask yourself why only a few specialized companiesremove asbestos professionally ? You may come up with the following answers :
Well you know you would only be about a tenth of the way into why asbestos should only be removed by professional asbestos removal companies. The act “how to remove asbestos safely 2011” is full of some of the most mind numbing legal jargon that you will ever read, it will take you hours to understand and then you will have to comply to it %100 which is tough because it changes regularly . Then there is the regulations on the regulated transport of asbestos waste another headache which can change regularly .
Before you let anybody convince you “its ok its less than 10 square meters I am good to take it out ” .Ask yourself does this guy have the following ?
:Expert training in asbestos removal that he has reviewed and refined to ensure best practices are used to keep my family safe?